Ph.D. – Animal Science, Auburn University
M.S. – Animal Science, Auburn University
B.S. – Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
American Society of Animal Science
American Society of Agronomy
Crop Science Society of America
American Forage and Grassland Council
Introduction of annual forages into perennial systems to extend the grazing systems and increase forage quality. Integrated crop-livestock systems and their effects on the agroecosystem.
1) Increase forage utilization and efficiency by improved grazing and harvesting management
2) Develop novel forage management strategies for crop-livestock integration
- Dillard, S.L., D.W. Hancock, D.D. Harmon, M.K. Mullenix, P.A. Beck, and K.J. Soder. 2018. Animal Performance and environmental efficiency of cool- and warm-season annual grazing systems. Journal of Animal Science. In Press.
- Dillard, S.L., A.I. Roca-Fernández, K.J. Soder, A.F. Brito, A.N. Hafla, and M.D. Rubano. 2016. Effect of including warm-season annuals with orchardgrass on ruminal fermentation and methane output in continuous culture. Journal of Dairy Science 100:1179-1188.
- Dillard, S.L., A.N. Hafla, M.D. Rubano, R. Stout, and K.J. Soder. 2016. Evaluation of a rising plate meter for use in multi-species swards. Agricultural and Environmental Letters 1:160032. doi: 10.2134/ael2016.08.0032
- Dillard, S.L., C.W. Wood, B.H. Wood, Y. Feng, W.F. Owsley and R.B. Muntifering. 2015. Nitrogen fertilization impacts on phosphorus cycling in grazed grass-legume pasture. Agricultural Sciences 6:1115-1127.
- Baxter. L.L., Hancock, D.W., W.G. Hudson, W.F. Anderson, S.L. Dillard, and B.M. Schwartz. 2015. Response of selected bermudagrass cultivars to bermudagrass stem maggot damage. Crop Science 55:1-8.
- Dillard, S.L., C.W. Wood, B.H. Wood, Y. Feng, W.F. Owsley and R.B. Muntifering. 2015. Effects of nitrogen fertilization on soil nutrient concentration and phosphatase activity and forage nutrient uptake from a grazed pasture system. Journal of Environmental Management. 154:208-215.
- Mullenix, M.K., S.L. Dillard, J.C. Lin, B.E. Gamble and R.B. Muntifering. 2014. Evaluation of cool-season annual forages for stocker production in the US Gulf Coast Region. Professional Animal Scientist 30:296-304.
- Dillard, S.L., L. Sturgeon, W. Owsley, C. Wood, J. Holliman, and R. Muntifering. 2012. Productivity and nutritive quality of Johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense) as influenced by commercial fertilizer, broiler litter and interseeded white clover (Trifolium repens). Applied and Environmental Soil Science. Article ID 234103, 6 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/234103 (Invited contribution)