|Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University|
|M.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University|
|B.S., University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka|
ACADEMIC RESEARCH & PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carry out research projects with professionalism using my in-depth knowledge of principles, procedures, protocol management, creative planning, technical expertise, statistical /analytical skills to design animal experiments and perform appropriate analyses.
- Actively participate and provide technical support to Dr. Kuhlers as PI with other collaborating faculty, in writing grant proposals for submission to agencies (USDA-SARE, National Pork Producers Council, Alabama Pork Producers Association, ADS-Upchurch fund for Excellence and NRI Bio-grant etc) to seek outside funding to carry out animal breeding and genetics / animal production and management research projects (swine, goats & beef cattle).
- Develop appropriate statistical models and computer program modules associated with the application of several statistical software packages (eg: SAS, MTDFREML, PEST, DFREML etc) suitable for analyses of animal breeding / production research data.
- Prepare research summary reports, abstracts and manuscripts for peer reviewed scientific publications and present research findings at annual meetings, conferences and outreach programs held at state, regional, and national levels.
Teaching, Education, Grad Students and Faculty support:
- Responsible for running the computer simulation program (Cow Game) to simulate 5-6 calf crops on the IBM mainframe computer for undergraduate Animal Breeding course/lab, ANSC 3500.
- Occasionally, assist in teaching undergraduate students (Animal Breeding – ANSC 3500) and graduate students (Experimental Methods ANSC 7500; Linear Model Application in Animal Breeding ANSC 8500) on specific modules.
- Participate at the Departmental Seminar series, and give seminars on topics related to SAS/Research data analyses that interests grad students and faculty.
- Provide assistance to faculty and grad students in the department on optimizing experimental designs, appropriate statistical methods during project design and protocol preparation.
- Assist grad students and faculty often in editing data, performing statistical analyses, preparing tables and graphs, summarizing and interpreting results.
Extension and Outreach activities:
- Extend service to the Dairy, Beef, Swine and Goats Extension Group at AU in conducting their programs.
- Give seminars and professional advice to Meat Goat producers in Alabama and adjoining states as an invited speaker at field day meetings / seminars / workshop programs.
- Participate in Meat Goat & Sheep development programs organized by the ALFA and Alabama Cooperative Extension at AU.
Additional Departmental Responsibilities and Activities:
- Perform duties as the “department webmaster” to design web portals and updating web pages.
- Manage and monitor (as administrator) of the grad student’s computer lab (Room 317) for software installation (SAS), hardware and the network printer.